Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Jong's Penang food bash!

Thank you Kensan for the breakfast! I just got back today, persuaded by friends and relatives for food food food. I never miss my hokkien mee in Presgrave St (Snar Teow Lorr). Ask for extra pai-koot or sio-bak, superb. The o-chean(oyster) and tauknua chen are also good. So is its kueh-kark. The wantan mee is also good. I also love the ice kacang.

The pek-kueh tng and heng jin char along Kimberly St are also nice. Too bad we don't have them here in Ipoh.

Amazing you have not visited Ipoh in 10 years? How come, afterall it's only 1.5 hr drive away? My friends and I used to drive all the way to Penang just for the day's food! Once we left at 7 am, returned home at 7 pm and we consumned 11 types of hawker food. We had wanted to eat more but the stomach could not take it anymore. That was years back. Today we are all comparing our middle-age spread, trying not to consume carbs after lunch!

Btw Presgrave St is Snar Teow Lor, not Cheet Teow Lor(7th st) which is Cecil St. That's my territory - I grew up in MacCallum St - Gor Teow Lor(5th st). That whole area used to be gangster haunts but ever since young I will fight to my last breath if anybody ever includes MacCallum St because that's the only one left "clean"! Why? - because that's a street of government/public servants and professionals. We were all so safe, being surrounded and protected by those gangs. They never ever touched us. We were left alone. Imagine walking the dark streets(our lightings were nothing to shout about) late in the night for supper. Not today, can't even walk safe in broad daylight without handbags being snatched!

The ice kacang too is superb!


Kiam-Chye Boey:

We should remember how our elders used to “tapau” every remnance of good festival food on the table to turn them up into favourite of everyone - the ‘kiam-chye-boey’ a chopsui dish in Cantonese it’s called “choy-keok”. Wow I remember how popular they were but today because of health awareness and hygiene to prevent spread of heppatitis, such practice is strongly discouraged and discontinued. Whenever I have cravings for “kiam chye boey”, I’d have to buy the ingredients to ‘artifitually’ churn out ‘kiam-chye-boey’ using half a bird of roast chicken, roast pork, cans of mushrooms, lemon grass, dried chillies, carrots and plenty of kiam-chye and kuah chye! Anyone for this dish? I have a suggestion, can we get Paula distracted from her ’stress’ and pass her this “assignment”? And we will all be there to test it out if she would do a good job of it?! :D


~jong.-Thanks to youu too for sharing!

3 comments:

Salak said...

I like Yong Taufu!

They might not vary very much, would they? Perhaps the sauce might make the difference!

A Malay friend of some Japanese parentage once had a steamboat do. He had a terrific sauce for real good fresh sushi tuna. And one of the main things he use for the sauce that gave the special sauce taste was LANGKUAS!

It was so good!

In Kuching there is a Beef stall near the Electra House, not far from Central Padang, Mee Sapi (well Sapi gets the name!) and the guy uses Langkuas too as ingredient for sauce!

I hardly take much of beef now but when I do the Mee Sapi would be it! :D

kensan said...

Tks Salak.I would love to take you to some very interesting Yong Tau Foo stalls on the island should you happen to drop in one day.The mammak mee at the fort Cornwallis do served interesting mee goreng with beef but I usually tried my friend Hamid's mee goreng at the Bangkok lane.His mee rebus is also superb.Do call me @0124065218 when you are in Penang next!

Anonymous said...

Kensan,

Each time I visit your blog, I feel very hungry lah!!! The last I read about your duck thingy, I had to ask hubby to buy a packet for me :-).

Looking forward to taste your kiam chye boey.

Take care and God bless you.