Monday, December 15, 2008

A little of everything-The Rojak!

ladies will swear that they are in seventh Heaven when they see a plate of rojak!It's more a lady's starter dish before the main course is eaten.I have seen many men too indulging in this mouth-watering delicacy though many will swear that its one of the 'must have' for the pregnant ladies!!!

What is this specialty that can make our saliva drool like there is no tomorrow?

Rojak, a Malay concoction comprising of a little bit of green unripe mango,nutmeg,cucumber,mankuang,,pineapple and other local fruits/vegetables mixed with thick Hae Kor( black prawn source)and roasted peanuts.Some enterprising stalls also add in small fried prawns and Ee Char Koay(a long piece of deep-fried ancient bread usually goes best with thick black coffee)

Almost all of the rojak sellers claim that theirs are the best but only an expert can tell where to go for such good titillating fruit/vegetable dish. My friend,Paul from Great Britain,dared not taste the thick prawn source or he would get high from it!For my two children, they must have generous amount of the thick black prawn source spilling onto the fruits/vegetables together with lots of fresh roasted peanuts to make the dish look very appertising!

I too have my 'Rojak king' on the island.Try the Hock Kee rojak stall right at the Mccallum Street flat and tell me what do you think?

Daniel's taste-bug was stirred up by GP Rojak at the Gurney Drive Hawker's complex while Paula's Ah Chye Rojak needs a GPS bearing to find him as he is all over the place!Mohan and wife prefer the Esplanade stall and Jong together with Paula concurred this fruit/rojak stall is rather good but pricey. Anyway to each his/her own but if you find a better rojak starter pack,just page me and I will be there!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my rojak with lots of nuts and the grilled sotong! Ipoh's rojak is so-so only. Would love to try Penag's rojak, as mentioned by you.

kensan said...

Peng,just let me know when you are in Penang,lets try a little of everything including the famous rojak that I mentioned!

Anonymous said...

I also want lah Kensan. I love Rojak!!! My friend's mom used to make the best rojak sauce but sadly, she passed on and she did not pass on the recipe too...

Take care.

kensan said...

Paula,I totally agree that the best part of the rojak is the 'Har Kor' sauce added with other ingredients which have become a trade secret among the good rojak sellers. However with lots of creativity sprinkled with kindness,love and compassion, we can overcome life's rojak problems!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your offer, Kensan. Don't faint at the way I eat! Paula knows best!

Salak said...

I promise you kensan, you got remind lah, that you'll regret you know me! :D

Because I'm gonna drag a bag of Sarawak Laksa sambal for you, if i set foot on Penang next!

Enough, to make your neighbors lose sleep for a week when the aroma dance to their houses!

You and Paula can prepare one for me every morning. I only like to eat! :D

Happy New Year!

kensan said...

You really make my day .....with Sarawak Laksa!Paula and I love it. So swing as fast as you can across the seas for we are waiting!!!!
Warmest best wishes to you and yours,Merry Christmas and and a blessed New year!

Jong said...

Kensan,

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009! Keep the beat going with Celine Dion's "I'm Alive"! Enjoy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCOSWkrmb1E

kensan said...

At my age and the glorious food that I eat,I would always count my blessings for being alive and kicking for another year.

Jong,it's always one day at a time for 2009.

A very happy and blessed New Year to you and family.And thanks also for the granny's chicken curry in 2008!What's next for 2009?

Jong said...

Kensan,

"At my age and the glorious food that I eat,I would always count my blessings for being alive and kicking for another year." - Kensan

I was chuckling away reading what you had to say. I don't think it's all about food but the company that goes with it that matters. Great company matters.

I just came back after spending some hours with a friend's mom - in her late seventies now living in a 'retirement home'. Her successful son and daughter, both married are now earning a living in London and she has to be forced into a "Retirement Home" after a fall middle of last year. They find she is unable to care for herself anymore and are prepared to pay for her to be cared for at a retirement home that is
well equipped, an aircon room with bath attached, 3 meals Breakfast, Lunch, Tea and dinner that cost something like rm2500 pm. There's also a private tv in every room, everything is there except company of her loved ones.

Each time I visit her - irregular visits as and when I am free, sometimes once a fortnight, sometimes more, she would shed tears of sadness, missing her loved ones. I think if her children and grandchildren are with her, even buah langsat will taste sweet to her.